I’ve been considering a few places for my English report:
the Secular Student Alliance (SSA) or a strip club (I AM 18 and there is at
least one 18+ club that I can access regularly).
The SSA interests me because while they did offend me at
their K-Week Campus Ruckus booth, I would like to see them outside of when they
are trying to get attention and mock my faith. I would like to set aside my
emotions and observe the group to see the similarities/differences from any
other activist club. However, since I am already established in my personal
faith, it will be a personal stretch to not become offended. I’m sure my presence
will be noticed; if they begin a discussion with me (if I’m just listening it’s
unlikely to bother me. I do enjoy listening to people’s personal view on topics
such as religion) on the topic of religion I’ll be SO outnumbered. [Personally I
can handle it unless they all attack at once….and I think they will.]
I’m also considering a strip club. This interests me because
I would like to observe the personal interactions between workers and customers
(not the dirty stuff, but how they act, appear to feel, observing body
language, etc). I’ve wanted to do this on my own for a while now; this class
will just encourage me to go all out! I’d also like to know more about the
dancer’s personal lives, the ‘regulars’ personal lives, and the groups of newcomers
in the space.
<3 ShainaRene'
Shaina,
ReplyDeleteThese are both great ideas and I like that you're willing to expose yourself to entirely new communities and ideas. I think the SSA could be a fantastic space to study. It would certainly be a personal challenge and in that sense, it may be hard to maintain a critical distance. (Strangely, it seems we only think of critical distance in regards to something we love, but it also applies to things that we might hate!) If you feel up to the challenge, I think it could make for an incredible assignment...and would offer not only you, but also the SSA, a chance to learn from each other.
While I think a strip club would make an excellent ethnography, I'm a little hesitant on this one. I love the originality of the idea, but I don't want to put you in a potentially unsafe situation for a project in class. Plus, it may be hard to talk to people in such an establishment, as they may not want to share about their personal lives.
Both are great ideas though. Let me know if you want to chat about either of them (even something totally different!) further.