Sunday, October 6, 2013

Look Maa, I'm on the internet!

I am satisfied with how my first speech went. It wasn't perfect but I wasn't expecting it to be. Now, as I begin the self-grading, I realize I have no idea how to assess argument section. Thankfully, I believe I was in the time restraint without talking too fast. Even though I made cuts, I think my speech has a focus and a semi-developed main point. This part is the hardest for me to grade since I worked so hard on the material. However, as for my supporting material, a variety would have been best but the different sources I planned on using were cut. The sources and materials I did use though, I believe they fit structurally. 
I tried to interest my audience with my word choices and listener relevance but I’m not so sure it worked. Using the word “stalked” in my speech made me giggle, but during the speech I don’t think my body language emphasized it enough to bring attention its oddity. I used this word because of who my young audience was. I wouldn't have used that word talking to a group of my parent’s friends. I was happy with my main point preview and thesis restatements but my transitions need improvement. I took a few vocalized pauses but the numbers have decreased since I rehearsed my speech before the big day. I had some of the speech internalized while the new parts, which were added two days before presentation, I relied on my note cards- this is apparent as I watch my speech. I could have added more figures of speech.
I’m not sure if I come off as intelligent since I hear myself as a 12 year old but I had a conversational style and I moved across the floor. My voice expresses emotion which is good but it needs to be controlled. I often gestured to the power point or to emphasis a point, which I am happy with, but when I involved the power point I became very informal. Next time I will prepare my comments about my power point more exact so it fits the more formal tone. I used pink in my power point because pink promotes acceptance and I want my audience to accept my ideas as reasonable. However, I should have taken a moment to gather my thoughts while I was answering the question. I knew the answer since I had prepared for that question in particular, but my response was scattered- lacking fluency.

It’s amazing how little I actually noticed about the audience. I did make eye contact with them, but it had very little effect on my performance. They could have been wearing masks and I don’t think I would have noticed until I sat down.

But I didn't fall down so I feel great about my presentation.


<3 ShainaRene'

No comments:

Post a Comment